Thursday, April 14, 2011

Silence

The past couple of days, I've started thinking about the different kinds of silence around my house. I think my fellow mommies will totally understand even though my explanations are bad...


Morning silence - Before the kids wake up where you try to get as much done as possible. This silence is a little tense because you are scrambling to get things done and waiting for the first sounds from the monitor to let you know the kids are awake.

Crying silence - The silent seconds following some sort of boo boo where they are sucking in air for the big wail.

Naptime silence - This is bliss. In our house, it's only the sound of the monitor and heavy breathing.

Trouble silence - When you are working around the house and realize all of a sudden that the babble of little voices has stopped. Trouble's coming.

Mischief silence - This is moments of silence punctuated with little giggles or the pitter-patter of little feet.


After silence - This is the silence that comes after a crash, boom or bang. You don't know if you are going to hear crazy crying or if everything will be ok.

Discipline silence - When the kids do or say something they aren't supposed to and then look straight at you, silent and just waiting for your reaction. My LEAST favorite.

I'm sure I'll come up with many more but these are what we are experiencing at the moment.

1 comments:

Emily said...

Right on! I can relate to each of those.