Saturday, September 26, 2009

My projects

I love Pottery Barn but I can't afford it. I love the way they style their rooms. I saw this photo and liked all of the old photos above the bed. So I sent out an e-mail asking for everyone's wedding photos (still accepting photos!!!! post a comment and I'll send you my e-mail address if you want to contribute, I don't want to post it here).
Here's my version. I definitely need more photos. I think that you can see too much string. (And I HAVE to do something to finish off this poor headboard - a door I stole out of a Waco neighbor's trash).
The reason I wanted wedding photos is because my wedding photos are behind the headboard in this guestroom.

Thanks to all who sent them.
My next Pottery Barn steal turned out a little better. I loved these chalkboards but at $134 for 4 of them (and I needed 8) I would be saving for a few months.

Here's how mine turned out.

I literally picked out a piece of 2 x 8 x 16 and had Home Depot chop it up for me (at a cost of $13). I bought chalkboard paint, chalk and decorations. So for about $40, I got my artwork.

One word about this project...chalkboard paint is not all it's cracked up to be. Whenever I messed up, I had to re-spray the entire piece of wood because wiping it off left horrible white smudges. So I decided to spray over the writing with Acrylic spray so that nobody can smudge it. That means I can't ever change what I wrote. So much for the gimmick of chalkboard paint. Maybe it works better on other surfaces.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Love your projects! Can't wait to come visit and see them all in person :-)

smithec said...

Everything looks great Kelly! You are so creative - I love seeing cute alternatives that are a sliver of the price of PB. Thanks for inspiring those of us on a budget!

Emily said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your projects. Can't wait to see them in person at GW next year. :)
One thought on the blackboard project. I've painted with it and found that your wooden surface has to be REALLY smooth for it to work well. If it's even a tiny bit rough, it's hard to erase. So maybe sanding it would work better? Regardless, I think it looks awesome and wouldn't want to erase any of it anyways! And at least this way you don't have to worry about little hands rubbing off any chalk!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! It looks great Kelly- you are so creative!

The Windsors said...

Love the projects!

The Bailes said...

LOVE your projects...they are so cute! I've been waiting to see what you used our pics for!